I would like to share Insight #60 from my book “The Dangerous Book for CEOs”.
A good way to test whether it really is a Pursuit is to ask the following questions:
- Does it drive you and your organisation’s strategy?
- Is it a minimum of three to five years ahead in the future?
- Is it so challenging that you’re not sure how you’re going to reach it but are eager to do so? (Again, compare your organisation’s pursuit to Kennedy’s challenge to NASA to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth by the end of the decade. That was not just a wall poster! It became an obsession … even though no one had any idea, in 1961, how it would be accomplished.) Your Pursuit should challenge you and your team to greatness.
- Is it audacious but not prone to braggadocio?
- Finally, is it based on your business fundamentals – on what your company does well and has done well in the past?
What is YOUR Pursuit?